What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine (FM) is the future of medicine! It is integrative medicine and incorporates state-of-the-art medical research on how to truly treat and reverse disease. FM focuses on finding and treating the underlying root causes of chronic illness, with optimal health as the end goal–not simply managing symptoms. For instance, if you are standing on 5 tacks, giving you a prescription for painkillers won’t solve the problem. Nor will removing 1 tack make you feel 20% better. FM seeks to identify and remove all 5 tacks, or root causes, so one can heal and reclaim their vitality.
UNDERSTANDING FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE
Equally important is what FM is not; it is not “alternative” care. It is built on evidence-based medicine that embraces the use of a vast array of modalities that research has proven to work. FM is not emergency or acute care. If you’re having severe pain or life-threatening experience an emergency room is needed. Yet the need for both is absolute.
In summary, routine medical care treats symptoms and your body needs help beyond just a prescription to address the root cause of disease, remove it, and help you understand how to restore optimal health. FM specializes in bringing together the best of all evidence-based treatment to reverse chronic disease, restore optimal health, and prevent future dysfunction. Detailed personal history gathering and careful evaluation of your genetics, nutrition, lifestyle, behaviors, and environmental factors are the steps taken to fully investigate and identify your underlying root causes.
This is why we are changing the way we do medicine and the medicine we do.
Watch the short video below as Dr. Hyman explains how one condition can have many different causes and how one cause can lead to many different conditions
Of course, closely following the program is required and results differ depending on the situation. Reversing, removing or stopping the disease in its tracks is the main goal; this can take 3-6 months with a complete reversal process that may take up to 2-3 years with this approach.
Is Functional Medicine Right for Me?
THIS PROCESS IS RIGHT FOR YOU IF:
- You are committed to making the lifestyle changes necessary to flourish and are ready to take charge of your own health.
- You fully understand that neither I, nor a drug, supplement, therapy or modality will heal you, YOU HEAL YOU.
- You understand this is a process, that change does not happen overnight, and you must invest your time to get well.
- You are willing to invest in yourself financially to make lasting improvements.
- You’re willing to look at all aspects of your life and how they contribute to your overall well-being.
- You visualize and dream of a vibrant life where symptoms or limitations holding you back from enjoying living a purposeful life you love.
THIS PROCESS IS NOT FOR YOU IF:
- You are searching for quick fix solutions
- You look to other people to “fix” you and are not interested in getting educated on how you can take charge of your health.
- You are too busy to spend time on yourself
- You’re not willing to examine other aspects of your life including stress, emotions or adverse events or trauma in relation to your overall well-being.
- You are not willing to invest or make a commitment to yourself,
- You don’t understand it takes an investment of commitment, time and money to get educated and get well.